Preparing for the Eisenhower Centennial in 1990
By the late 1980s the Society began planning for the Eisenhower Centennial, October 14, 1990.
In partnership with Gettysburg College, the Pennsylvania Eisenhower Centennial Commission and the Eisenhower National Historic Site, a full year of events sponsored by the groups were planned. The Society sponsored a community picnic at the Eisenhower Farm with grandson David Eisenhower, his wife Julie Nixon Eisenhower and birthday cake for all.
The group also worked with Gettysburg College to sponsor a three-day academic symposium on Eisenhower’s Presidency. Using their contacts, the Society was also able to bring both President Ford and entertainer Bob Hope to Gettysburg. Both attended the Friday evening banquet at the Eisenhower Farm for invited guests and then participated in the commemorative program the following morning at Gettysburg College.
History Quick Links
- Establishment of the Society
- Annual Wreath Laying and Convocation
- One President Commemorates Another
- Mamie Eisenhower’s Charge to the New Society Leadership
- Preparing for the Eisenhower Centennial in 1990
- Beyond the Centennial
- A New Millennium and a New Direction: Education, Grants and Scholarships
- New Opportunities for Society Members to Learn and Enjoy
- Looking to the Future