2023 Picnic Thanks
We would like to thank our 151 picnic participants, a sold-out crowd, for making our 2023 picnic a great success! We had hot and humid weather, but as dinner service began, we were fortunate that the temperatures dropped. The evening was quite pleasant. Since our theme was Ike and Mamie in Panama, 1923, a number of guests came in their Panama hats and and 1920s attire to add to the atmosphere. Everyone enjoyed the Eisenhower Home tours, as well as the ranger program, “A Pregnant Tour of Duty: Ike and Mamie in Panama, 1922-1924.” Our putting contestants participated in a competitive game on the Eisenhower green. Everyone enjoyed a glass of wine and the delicious food prepared by our caterer, Jake Schindel, owner of the Ragged Edge Coffee House. This year we tried another of Ike’s barbecue recipes for pulled chicken barbecue sandwiches in addition to Angus beef sliders. Ike’s chocolate cake was served for dessert. Dinner music was performed by pianist John Tschop who played Eisenhowers favorite songs from 1923 or earlier. While waiting for their turn at the catering line, guests sitting at each table worked on our trivia game. This year our theme was “Ike and Mamie in Panama, 1923, and Panama in Popular Culture.” Our guests played in groups by the tables they sat at. First place went to a table that got 9 of 10 answers correct. We gave second place to a table that got 8 correct. We also gave our putting contest award and drew numbers for our door prizes. Then we ended the evening with baritone Wayne Hill, who sang a selection of Ike’s favorite songs. He was accompanied by Jonathan Noel. We thank the Eisenhower National Historic Site for allowing us to host our picnic at the Eisenhower farm.
We would like to thank the following sponsors for supporting our picnic:
- David and Cynthia Salisbury: Putting Contest Sponsor
- Daun van Ee, Stephen Gibble, Michael Birkner, Jim Roach, Bill Spracher, Mary Lowe Mayhugh, and David Belcher: Picnic Entertainment Sponsors
- Duane and Linda Williams: For the wine!
We also want to recognize our Prize Sponsors:
- Casteel Sculptures for an original 8X10 bas relief scltped plaque of General Eisenhower.
- Priscilla Roberts for two American flags that were flown at the Eisenhower National Historic Site.
- Carol Hegeman for a copy of her and Michael Birkner’s book, Eisenhower’s Gettysburg Farm.
- Ruthmary McIlhenny for an uncirculated Eisenhower dollar coin.
- Ken Weiler for a copy of his book, Why Normandy Was Won: Operation Bagration and the War in the East 1941-1945.
- Adams County Historical Society for a gift certificate to Beyond the Battle museum.
- Gettysburg Eddie’s for two gift certificates.
- Dairy Queen of Gettysburg for gift certificates for the “Ike and Mamie in Panama, 1923, and Panama in Popular Culture” Trivia contest awards.
- Gettysburg Heritage Center for complimentary tickets.
- World War II: The American Experience Museum for complimentary tickets.
- Event Network for I Like Ike mugs.
We also want to thank our Intern Dinner Sponsors:
Tony TenBarge, Ken Weiler and Dave Belcher
We look forward to seeing everyone again next year!
Calendar Quick Links
Our Phone Number:
Our Email Address:
Our Mailing Address:
Dwight D. Eisenhower Society
P.O. Box 4772
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Our Office Location:
789 Baltimore Street, Suite 100
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
2023 Picnic Photo Gallery